Saturday 27 November 2010

Beef Stew...

I'm not sure how I found this recipe but it sounded really good and I'd never made a stew before mainly because they take sooooo long to cook and I've never had the time! However, this beef stew didn't seem to take days to make so I thought, right I'll give it a go! I bought some really nice stewing steak from our local butchers and it also gave me chance to use up lots of veg that needed eating up anyway! Served with a Yorkshire Pudding this is beefy heaven! Good food to warm the soul on a cold winter's night!



Ingredients: (serves 4, but I halved it and it works just as well)
4tsp of olive oil
400g stewing steak (lean)
2 onions
4 cloves of garlic (fresh)
200g carrots
200g celery (you can leave out if you want...you don't notice it's not there!)
8tsp of cornflour
8tsp of tomato puree
1.32 pints of vegetable stock
4 pinches of oregano
4 pinches of mixed herbs
4 potatoes
400g mushrooms

Method:
1. Heat the oil in a non-stick pan. Cut the stewing steak into bite sized chunks and toss in the cornflour tapping off any excess. Then brown off on all the sides keeping the heat high.
2. Once browned, set aside on a plate and add the finely sliced onions, crushed garlic, diced carrot and celery to the pan. Cover with a lid and cook over a gentle heat for 10 minutes. Return the meat with any of the juices to the pan.
3. Add the tomato puree, stock, herbs and potatoes (cut into bite sized chunks). Turn the heat low and gently simmer for about 30 minutes. After this time, add the mushrooms to the casserole and simmer gently for a further 10 minutes.
4. I served mine with a Yorkshire Pudding but it could just be eaten on its own or with some steamed veg on the side.




No comments:

Post a Comment